Two Port Sulphur men booked in arson cases, and other area police news

Two Port Sulphur men booked in arson cases

Two Port Sulphur men are behind bars, accused in two arson cases last month that happened within seven hours of each other and were sparked by a jilted lover’s anger, the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office said.

Carl Eugene Stewart III, 25, was booked with simple arson and four counts of aggravated arson. James Mallard, 28, was booked with simple arson and being an accessory after the fact.

Both men were identified as suspects after investigators collected evidence, including video surveillance, that connected them to the fires March 11 and March 12 in the 120 block of Loop Lane and the 29500 block of La. 23 in Port Sulphur, Sheriff’s Office spokesman Cmdr. Eric Becnel said.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office classified the two fires as arsons because accelerants were used, he said.

Stewart and his ex-girlfriend were having an argument before the fires were reported, Becnel said.

On March 11, Stewart allegedly threatened her through calls and text messages. Later that day, he allegedly told the woman that he was going to burn down her residence.

That evening, when Stewart learned his ex’s new boyfriend was in town, he and Mallard began to search for the couple to start a fight, Becnel said.

About 11 p.m., Stewart found the couple, though no fight took place, Becnel said. Thirty minutes later, he said, Mallard and Stewart bought a gallon of gasoline. About 17 minutes later, the ex-girlfriend’s home was set on fire.

About seven hours after that, the home of the new boyfriend’s sister was set on fire. Three adults and a 9-month-old infant escaped from the home.

Witnesses said they saw Stewart on the property immediately after the fire began, Becnel said. He said Stewart believed his ex-girlfriend was staying with her new boyfriend’s sister.

The Sheriff’s Office alleged that Mallard drove Stewart from the crime scene to Boothville in an attempt to hide him.

Stewart and Mallard remained jailed Friday. Stewart’s bail was set at $450,000, while Mallard’s was set at $7,500.

Man, 19, struck in leg during Algiers shooting

A 19-year-old man was wounded Thursday night when someone shot at him on an Algiers corner, police said.

The shooting happened about 7:45 p.m. at Donner and Idaho streets.

The victim was struck once in the leg. His injury was not serious, police said.

NOPD releases sketch of man in choking

The New Orleans Police Department released a computer sketch Friday of a man they believe choked a woman inside her Carrollton home this week.

The man, known only as Patrick, is white, 21 to 25 years old, about 6 feet tall and with a muscular build, a light-blond crew cut and freckles on his face, police said.

Police said the man walked into the victim’s home about 7 p.m. Wednesday and choked her. She was able to break free and lock herself in a bedroom. The man then ran away.

Anyone with information about the identity of the man is asked to notify 2nd District Detective Latoya Lamb-Johnson at (504) 658-6020 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Police book suspect in fatal N.O. East shooting

A man suspected in a fatal shooting of a man earlier this week in New Orleans East surrendered to authorities Friday.

Witnesses told police that Tyrone “Tee Boy” Daniels, 20, shot and killed Dion Johnson, 21, about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at a car wash in the 7200 block of Chef Menteur Highway.

Daniels surrendered at Orleans Parish Prison with his attorney Friday, police said.

He was booked on a count of second-degree murder, according to jail records.

Police: Kids involved in sexual assault

An 11-year-old sexually assaulted a 4-year-old Friday, New Orleans police said.

The assault happened about 1:40 a.m. at a home in the 4700 block of Eunice Street in New Orleans East.

Police did not provide any other information about the incident.

JPSO issues warrant in Avondale shooting

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office has issued an arrest warrant for a suspect in an attempted murder last summer.

Troy Baptiste, 26, who is known to frequent Avondale and Waggaman, is wanted in the attempted second-degree murder of a 23-year-old man, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Witnesses identified Baptiste as the person who shot the victim Aug. 22 near Capital Drive and Church Street in Avondale, according to a Sheriff’s Office bulletin.

The victim told investigators he was walking in the 300 block of Federal Drive when a black Chevrolet Monte Carlo drove up to him. At that point, Baptiste, who was in the car, shot at the victim, said Col. John Fortunato, a Sheriff’s Office spokesman.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Thomas Gai at (504) 364-5300 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.