Kenner man accused of raping children, and other area crime news

Kenner man accused of raping children

A Kenner man has been accused of rape, sexual battery and indecent behavior involving three children, the youngest of them 6 years old at the time.

Carlos Montero Sr., 52, was arrested at his residence Tuesday night and booked on two counts of first-degree rape, one count of failure to register as a sex offender, indecent behavior with a juvenile and sexual battery.

Kenner police allege Montero raped a young boy and girl and kissed another young girl in a sexual manner. Montero has previous convictions for carnal knowledge of a juvenile in 2002 as well as failure to register as a sex offender in 2010 and 2013.

Montero last registered at an address on Hamilton Street in Gretna in March, police said, and had not updated his file to show his current address on Kentucky Avenue in Kenner.

A 24th Judicial District Court commissioner set his bail at $185,000 on Friday, court records show.

Reward raised for tips in fatal hit-and-run

The reward for tips leading to an indictment of the driver behind a New Year’s Day hit-and-run that claimed a life has been raised to $10,000.

Crimestoppers President and CEO Darlene Cusanza said authorities are still looking for information in the death of Joshua Woodruff, a California man who was dragged from where he was hit at Decatur and Dumaine streets in the French Quarter to the West Bank.

Cusanza said members of the Woodruff family contributed to the higher reward.

The New Orleans Police Department has released the route investigators believe the dark-colored sedan with tinted windows took after hitting Woodruff.

Anyone with information about the crime is urged to call Fatality Investigator Anthony Pontiff at (504) 658-6237 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Man listed in critical condition after stabbing

A man who was stabbed multiple times early Friday two blocks from Louis Armstrong Park was listed in critical condition at a hospital, New Orleans police said.

The unidentified man, believed to be in his early 20s, was taken to the hospital by a private vehicle after the stabbing just before 3 a.m. at North Rampart and Gov. Nicholls streets, police said in an offense log.

2 carjackings, armed robbery reported

Three men were robbed and carjacked in separate incidents on Thursday, New Orleans police said.

A 68-year-old man was robbed of his money and truck at gunpoint in the 5400 block of Patio Way in New Orleans East just after midnight, according to an offense log.

Later, a 36-year-old man was stripped of his vehicle about 8 p.m. in the 6600 block of Virgilian Street, also in the East.

Finally, police said, a 40-year-old man was robbed of money in the 8200 block of Apple Street in Carrollton about 9 p.m.

Woman reports rape on South Broad Street

A 20-year-old woman reported about 5:30 p.m. Thursday that she had been sexually assaulted in the 300 block of South Broad Street, New Orleans police said.

No further details on the crime, listed by police as an aggravated rape, were given.

Harvey man accused of obscenity, peeping

A Harvey man accused of masturbating while staring into his neighbors’ bedroom told deputies he did so because he was smoking marijuana, according to an arrest report.

Deputies allege that neighbors caught Yiron Dorsey, 21, staring into their bedroom in the 3700 block of Dulaney Drive on Wednesday while he was grabbing his penis and pointing a phone in their direction.

“The subject moved several times and jumped fences while nude, exposing himself to public view,” Deputy Fidel Garcia stated in the report.

Dorsey then ran back to his residence in the 3700 block of Morriswood Drive, where he was caught without incident, authorities said. He was booked on obscenity and a “peeping Tom” offense.

Police: Woman stole from adult store

An employee at an adult entertainment store wasn’t just peddling sexual toys to French Quarter tourists, New Orleans police allege. She was also embezzling tens of thousands of dollars.

Tammy Thomas, 40, of Metairie, was arrested Thursday on an accusation that she embezzled more than $27,000 from the Hustler Hollywood store at 111 Bourbon St. last summer.

Thomas’ responsibilities included opening the store in the morning and presenting bags full of cash to an armored car service, according to an arrest warrant.

The store discovered it was missing money from its bank account, the warrant says, and an accountant found that 11 days of cash intake from May 27 to June 7 were missing. On each of those days, the warrant alleges, Thomas was in the store and was the person who handled the cash deposits.

NOPD Detective Denis James wrote in the warrant that audit data, video surveillance and sales reports bolstered the case against Thomas. He said he believed that Thomas was stealing the cash deposits and then using new cash sales to cover up for the money she stole.

Thomas’ bail was set at $5,000 on Friday, court records show.

More Stories