Read columnist and photographer Steven Forster’s coverage of New Orleans’ social events at The New Orleans Advocate.
Events featured in this edition:
• Orbiting the Art World: A birthday party for gallery owner Blake Boyd and a private showing of “Make Your Mark” by Trey Speegle marked Art for Art’s Sake at Boyd Satellite Gallery.
• The Creative Class: Art for Art’s Sake lured thousands out to the galleries and museums in the CBD and along Magazine Street for the official kickoff to the season. Jonathan Ferrara Gallery held its opening for ‘The Almighty Dollar’ by Dan Tague and ‘Cut’ by Nikki Rosato.
• Surprise! Glen Hogh’s friends wouldn’t forget his 50th birthday. They sprang the cake, candles and serenades on him to make sure he’ll never forget it either.
• Animal Lovers, Unite: The Charity Bar at Bellocq hosted the LA/SPCA for the first Sunday of the eight-week fall fundraiser series, sponsored by Old New Orleans Rum. Bellocq is in the Hotel Modern at Lee Circle.
• Walk the Walk: Thousands collected pledges, then hit the track in Aubudon Park for the NO/AIDS Walk to raise money to help those living with HIV/AIDS in Louisiana. Afterward, good works were celebrated with New Orleans style.